Monday, September 15, 2008

A quick aside

Just quickly, I read the headline "Gates's Iraq visit marked by bombings." This, to me, is in very stark contrast to the news we've been hearing lately out of Iraq, which amounts basically to "We're winning! Go USA!" This reminds me of a discussion we had in US History the other day, when my teacher, Mrs. Daby, told us about the Tet Offensive in the Vietnam War. I wasn't around then, so I can only go on what I've learned, but what I've learned is that before the Tet Offensive, Americans were being fed the same kind of self-deluding BS that is coming out of Iraq right now. After the Tet Offensive, though, all that changed. Americans woke up to the fact that they had been lied to - the USA wasn't winning this war, the Vietnamese didn't want us there, and we were going to be there for 100 years if we didn't pull out.

WAKE UP, AMERICA!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the timely reminder!