Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Look, Mommy! I Can See the Higgs Boson From Here!"

Today I decided to build a Pringles-can extender tube for my Canon AV-1 SLR. I dremeled holes in a rear lens cap and a Canon body cap and glued the body cap to an already cleaned and dremeled Pringles can. I then wrapped a lens with dark cloth and stuffed it backwards into the Pringles can and attached the whole thing to my camera. The result can be seen below.


Why, you ask? Well, reversing the lens and using an extension tube allows me to take pictures of some pretty amazing stuff. Really, really (really) tiny stuff (probably not the Higgs Boson, but one can only hope). It's called macro photography, or technically, photomacrography, but let's stick with the former. I'll post some pictures that I take with it when I develop them (I know, it's retro to actually develop photos, but I just love the smell of chemicals...).


Oh, and by the way, happy last-day-of-the-world! G'night!

No comments: